[Gpdd] HEALTH: Piggies' sex

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Fri Jan 25 03:03:14 EST 2008

Hi,
     I am a "former" Columbus area resident. (Westerville) A few years back I
did the suburban refugee number and moved to the "Scenic Hocking Hills" area.
(Now I wanna go home!    :)    Actually, I have a GPDD "friend" in Columbus
that is looking for a little boy piggy. I can hook you up via email if you're
interested and if she's interested.

     Now, as for sexing your piggy, the best I can do is recommend a vet.

     In the phone book check out Animal Care Unlimited  Animal Care
Unlimited, Inc.   (aha, a link! You can check out their web site.)

     They do have an exotics vet and may have a tech who would sex your
piggies for free -- or they might charge a lot! Call and ask I guess.

 Animal Care Unlimited
2665 Billingsley Rd.
Columbus, Ohio 43235
(614) 766-2317

Or maybe they could recommend a place. I am, alas, disabled, not to mention
many miles away but if your piggies are 3 or 4 weeks old I can spot a male so I
know a vet tech could. They have a Y shape with a small dot either just above
the y or in the center of it. The Y shape itself I think may be
characteristic of both sexes early on. That small dot that looks nothing like a penis is
just that. Unlike puppies, for example, their sexual parts are not obvious.
Also, it's a while before the testicles develop and descend.

     Also go to Guinea Lynx     Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for
Your Guinea Pig    Or
Seagull's Guinea Pig Compendium   Somewhere you'll find some good diagrams.
It's late and I'm tired   or I'd try to pinpoint an exact place for you to find
out how to determine sex. It is tricky, however.

You'll get other suggestions for web sites, etc. from other members. But
welcome to the group!

All best,
Alge and Charlie, the lone Jolly Rodent