[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCE] Rainbow Bridge - my darling Duke

Glynis Robson Glynis at garnay.com.au
Sun Oct 12 22:03:51 EDT 2008

February 1st 2002 - October 12th 2008 aged 6 years, 8 months and 11 days

My darling Duke (aka Chubster, Legend, Dukester and many other names his
little friends gave him) has travelled to the bridge at 10am on the 12th
October OZ time.
In April 2002 Duke and his brother Sully came to live with us, he was
such a darling little character he loved to run and play and boy could
he climb.
He climbed so much that we had to build him a house with straight sides
no wire as he would've managed to scale that.
He lived with his brother Sully for quite awhile until we had to
separate them cause they fought and Duke just loved to hump Sully which
he was not impressed about. We divided their house in two with a wire
divider which they just loved to sit beside and chat non stop all day.
And when i came home from work i'd take out the divider and they'd love
to run to each others areas, Sully loved to find Duke's left over food
and Duke loved to go sniff where Sully had been......yes Duke loved to
sniff, he sniffed everything.
When Sully went to the bridge, Duke was very very sad and lonely but i
wasn't allowed to get him a friend. He also was sick and i struggled so
hard to help him thru it, he was a trooper and a fighter and managed to
pull thru so many operations for abscesses which threatened his life on
more than a few occasions.
Each time he rallied because of his attitude and strong heart and will
to live, my brave boy.
The last 7-8 weeks he has been gravely ill with pneumonia as many of you
know, i was sure he was going a few weeks ago but once again he rallied.
Yesterday was big clean out day for him, i'd completely strip out his
house, whilst he'd patiently sit on a towel under his hidey box and wait
for me, but yesterday for the first time in a long long time he poked
his head out and i went over he stretched out his nose and body which
meant, pick me up granny. I did this and he gave me a lovely big cuddle.
I then popped him into his cleaned out house and dashed up stairs to do
his washing and make his new food. When i came back down he stretched
out and took a piece of canteloupe but as his toofies were still short
from when he broke them off i helped him by putting the cante in my hand
and this made it easier for him to eat.
This morning at 2am feed i gave him his critical care but then he just
wasn't interested in his leafies i told him it was ok i'd make it up
thru the day. So off to bed i went and he too went back to bed.
At 7am i got up and went and cleaned him out and made him comfortable
and gave him his veggies and leafies........at 8.15am i went down again
to feed him his critical care he was struggling to swallow it down so i
told him i'd help him thru the day and it was ok. He then coughed and
started to breathe very quickly and i rushed up stairs to let the kids
say their good byes as i just knew it was his time...........but once
again he seemed to rally.
I went back down stairs with him and popped him gently down to make him
more comfortable in the towel and cuddle him again, he collapsed onto
his side and struggled to get up........he then again had trouble
breathing, as per his usual gutsy self he battled right to the end, he
even managed to climb up onto my shoulder with help and he snuggled into
my neck i then quietly put him on his side and made him comfortable
whilst he was travelling to the bridge.........he looked at me just
before he took his last breath he said goodbye to me. I had already told
him not to worry as it was ok to go safely and be with Sully my Mum and
his other little friends, and i'd promised to be there for him and I'm
so glad I was.
Thankyou darling boy for letting me be your granny, I feel honoured.
Granny is devastated please wait for me, so one day I can be with you
once again and cuddle you again, I will miss you so much...........it is
hurting so much at the moment I can't bear to be without you.
Love you darling sweetheart xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p.s sorry for this being so long xx