[Gpdd] Misc: HB 699

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Mon Apr 27 01:16:10 EDT 2009

https://community- .hsus.org/campaign/FED_20- 09_nonnativewildife2?

I believe someone here posted this link. It gives a brief overview of the
real objectives and now I'm   sorry that I made my phone calls and wrote my
letters to kill the bill. Our guys are all grandfathered in. Who wrote the
original post letting us know that our fur babies were not targets, not our
piggies or bunnies or hamsters or ferrets, etc. ? Please repeat your post.
But, HB 699 is actually meant to block harmful or potentially harmful wild
non-native species from being brought into this country.
Aha, here is something Capt'n Jack posted elsewhere. It's far from all
inclusive but it helps clarify things. But do use the URL above -- copy and
paste to your browser window.

HB699
Actually, contrary to what we were all led to believe, the bill wasn't that
bad at all though it got a huge response (and was voted down),   our mum
being one of da many wanting to see da bill killed. We would have all been
fine if da bill HAD gone through (if you cut and paste the link in your browser
you'll get a good over view). Da bill was mostly too keep certain foreign
wild critters from being imported. We have been here long enough to be
citizens and then some! Its like the python thing and all the dangerous critters
dat not be from around dis country being brought here then eventually being
let loose like in Florida in the swamps, and other places where they can
thrive, after getting too big to keep. (Speaking of pythons,   I thinks day
found an 18 footer dare.)   Apparently, at least a third of our country's
waterways could support life not meant to be in dis country. I mean, who wants to
see their humans go water skiing only to be grabbed by a big constrictor
type snake? Or who wants to be dinner for one? Or for a school of piranahs?
"Shiver me timbers," as we pirate folk are reported to say when at a loss of
words. And its not just waterways. It's other critters coming and feasting on
those critters who belong here. Or destroying the environment of our natural
species. Like hey, wolves are native species, but pythons and da like are
not. And how about the person that decides that they want to keep a hooded
cobra, manages to get one, and it gets loose. These things happen!
Capt'n Jack

Alge here: Capt. Jack seems to be kind of hung up on giant pythons and
constrictors. He's seen all this on TV and it unsettled both him and Barnacle
Bill. There are many other animals destructive to our native animal population
being brought in and being sold. The reptile people seem to be among those
most interested in seeing these practices continue.

Alge