[Gpdd] MISC Boomer

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Aug 15 19:24:14 EDT 2009

Heather,

I am sorry to read that Boomer is an aggressive piggy.

Have you actually seen him chewing his own coat? There are other reasons why his coat could be falling out. He could be irritated by lice or a fungal condition. I saw a cavy at my Rodentologists last week who had vast bald patches and this had been caused by a fungal problem which was being treated.

As for neutering, for me the risk would outweigh any conceivable benefit and I would never subject any of my boys to such a procedure. The only time that I have not been able to pair up two boars was with my Sam, who did not want to cohabit but lived happily next door to another pair of boars, with whom he loved to chat through the wire. Neutering will have no effect on Boomer's personality whatsoever but merely render him incapable of impregnating a sow.

Do you think that Boomer would be friendly towards a sow or have somepig else with whom to fight?

If you believe that neutering is right for him, please be sure that you have a very capable vet as any operation requiring an anaesthetic has its risks. Be sure that the vet uses Isoflurane or its sister, Sevoflurane, anaesthetic - the only safe ones for cavies.

There is a lot of advice on Cavy Spirit and GuineaLynx.

http://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

http://www.guinealynx.info/links.html#neutering

Do not put him with a sow until at least 3/4 weeks after the op. This gives plenty of time for any live sperm to die.

Wishing you all the best.

Penny and the Piggyfriends ( piggy sanctuary in England ).