[Gpdd] HEALTH: Blossom's situation

corrine sakumoto oreochockc at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 15 16:22:37 EST 2009

Blossom saw the vet this morning.  She said that Blossom has like, she called it a 'pouch,' in her throat area.  She said it doesn't show up on the x-ray because it's soft tissue.  (They don't have an ultrasound machine.)  She had felt it there the previous visit but didn't think much about it.  She couldn't see it visually because Blossom struggled too much but Blossom didn't like her feeling her throat area.  The vet said to continue the baytril and prednisone.  But she said that's why Blossom won't eat.  The vet brought her a baby carrot and Blossom sniffed it and seemed to want it but didn't touch it.  So the vet said to continue feeding her critical care and to watch that owwie in her throat.

Is there ANYTHING that we can do to make eating more enjoyable for Blossom?  I realize it must be sore for her to swallow but if there's anything that we can do to help, we'd like to try.

As for Baby Truffles, this morning we saw her eating some hay.  She's still slow when she eats but at least she eats.  While at the vet's, she even nibbled on the baby carrot the vet offered.

Regarding Sparkles, they tested her poo and didn't find any parasites.  The vet said to limit her fresh veggies, maybe that's why she's getting soft poos.

Yesterday morning, I had called to make an appointment for all three because Blossom was 'the same', meaning, not eating on her own although she still looks bright and alert.  But Baby Truffles looked a tad under the weather and I was worrying about her because of her runny poos.  Of course, by late afternoon, she started to form pellety poos!  And Sparkles has had runny poos off and on for months.  So what does she do this morning?  Yup!  She made near normal pellety poos!  Of course I'm happy but part of me can't help but wonder what happened!

They all get the same water, some local bottled water.  I know the company cleans it of impurities and things.  We don't like water with things added to it, so we go with this water and have done so for years.

As for OUR water, we have a tank catchment system.  It's UV filtered and filtered several times, but yes, we do RINSE their veggies in it.  Now I'm wondering whether to use some other bottled water to rinse their veggies.

We do live on the Big Island of Hawaii, in fact, the whole island chain suffers from the volcano which emits what they call 'vog.'  It affects people's breathing sometimes.  The ironic part is that although we're somewhat close to the volcano, the breezes blows the vog away from us.

As for Blossom again, the vet said her stomach, etc. felt better so now they're sure that there isn't any sort of blockage/partial blockage.

Thanks for all the comments and helpful tips and info and experiences!  We carefully read them all.

Loving wheeks,

Corrine and Michael