[Gpdd] [MISC]<Feeds explained>

Janneke guinygirl at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 08:12:03 EDT 2009

Hey Fugly buddy,

I promised to explain more about the internet thingies that my slave
confused you with a while ago. I already explained twitter (we changed our
name btw to winkyteam; http://twitter.com/winkyteam (or @winkyteam if you
search within twitter) and you can find guiny dunya and woopy under
http://twitter.com/Guinygirlz . check out the people we follow to find more
gpdders)

This time i'll explain feeds.

First of all, no, this doesnt have anything to do with food. Really.. no
veggies or other yummies involved (hmm.. i realize i just lost about 70% of
my audience, sorry guys, just scroll down to the next post). Let me first
explain what feeds do for me.

Back in the days, after slave left for work, i got up, put on the computer
and started checking all my favourite websites to see if there was anything
new. Gmail, Hotmail, the scampsblog, other blogs etc. Nowadays I open one
page and i can immediately see which sites have updates/new information etc.
This saves me a lot of time!

With rssfeeds new information gets automatically delivered to a place where
you want it to be (well, not the actual information but more like a link).
Like, in the old days us pigs had to go out and find our veggies in the
wild, but now we have slaves who bring us veggies right into our cage. Wel..
this is sortof the virtual equivalent.

If you want to use feeds you need to find the feed on a website, and you
need to get a place where you want them delivered.
Where it becomes confusing are all the different ways/terms you can use
feeds.

First of all, you have different kinds of feeds (rss, atom) dont worry about
that too much. You only need to know this to help you find the feed from a
website (if there is a feed, it usually is an orange icon (rss) or a blue
one (atom). If you spot this icon, click on it and you get a weird ugly page
with text. Copy the adress in your browser(URL) and take it to the place
where you want it to go.

Second, you need a platform to receive your feeds. We use Netvibes (
www.netvibes.com) and iGoogle (we are just really nerdy.. sorry..). But
there are many alternatives out there (pageflakes, google reader etc).
Within this platform you paste the adress of the site you copied in step
one.

To help you get an idea; this is our netvibespage (click on the icon 'all
sizes' above the photo to see a larger version):

- The tab with personal info (with email twitter etc.):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jannekestaaks/3588212859/
- The tab with the blogs:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jannekestaaks/3589020134/in/photostream/

I will not bore you with the specifics, if any of you want to know more, let
me know and we'll do it offlist ;-)

Lots of wheeks!
Special Agent Igor
p.s. we made a feed of agent F's blog into our twitter. So everytime Agent F
blogs something, a message in our twitteraccount appears with the text:
Agent F blogs:.... then followed by the first lines of his blogpost and a
link to his blog. Sooo convenient :-D.