[Gpdd] MISC: Snowy Bear -- any ideas?

corrine sakumoto oreochockc at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 28 16:17:54 EDT 2009

On Wednesday, when Snowy Bear was brought into the vet's, I wanted her to aspirate his bladder since it was so full.  I knew that wasn't solving the problem, but I figured it would help.  She also used a catheter to flush out the bladder via his penis or so she said.  According to Michael, please correct us if we are wrong.  He said to flush out his bladder she had to 'flush' in a fluid (like saline??) and then suck it back out.  Now, we're thinking, if she did flush out his bladder, that means she got rid of the obstruction because the catheter reached the bladder from the penis.  Upon bringing him home, it took HOURS for him to recover from the anesthesia.  So my first thought is that she overdosed him.  He slept and was groggy for a very long time.  THEN he never peed, not even once.  So now we're thinking that when she 'sucked out' the saline/fluid whatever they use, that SHE tightly wedged whatever was now blocking him.  In other words, I don't know
 if she knew what she was doing.  AND of course, she now made the problem which led to the horrendous surgery on friday.

Also, the saturday before father's day, we were not at home for like fourteen hours I think.  At that point, Snowy Bear had been under our second vet's care for his not feeling well and he was responding quite well.  But to my horror, when we got home, his water bottles were all full.  I found one not working.  One did work, but it was still full.  To make matters worse, he was supposed to be taking in lots of fluids, I had forgotten to syringe him water before we had left.  So as I said to Michael, I started this whole mess, we shouldn't have gone out that day.  (We went to the other side of the island which is about three hours away.)
I felt worse than worse, but he did seem okay.  Until Tuesday, which is when I saw he had runny diarrhea and didn't seem to be peeing.

As everyone says, you look back and play the should've done this, should've done that.  You always lose playing that game.

I guess I can't forgive myself because on Friday, before going to the vet, I'd put him on the ground and he'd go walking around exploring.  He'd even walk up to me for a cuddle.  He ate fresh veggies and grass.  For the first time in days he drank water on his own.  It just felt right that he'd be around for a long long time.

Corrine