[Gpdd] HEALTH Herbie

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon May 4 13:28:58 EDT 2009

I was hoping to see someone reply to Herbie's health problem.

I have had piggies respond very well to hind leg paralysis when treated with liquid calcium and Vit D. A few years ago, my dear old Poppy became paralysed overnight but, following a couple of days treatment with calcium shots and Vit D, she was soon up and away and had no recurrence of her problem. Diamond, who has arthritis, gets about very well courtesy of Potter's Tabritis tablets, which I know are not available overseas and she is now having a dose of liquid calcium everyday too. I use liquid Osteocare from the pharmacy.

BUT and this is a big BUT. Neither of these piggies suffered with bladder stones and I would think that too much calcium would not be a good idea with stone piggies.

I have no experience of piggies with bladder stones ( thank goodness ) and hope that one of our members who may know more could help Herbie's slave.

On balance, I think that, personally, I would give the calcium in the hope of getting Herbie up and about. Can your vet remove the stones manually? I have seen my Rodentologist do this by manipulating the stone down the urethra without the need for any dangerous anaesthetic but not all vets are able to do this procedure.

Hugs for Herbie.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.