[Gpdd] HEALTH Herbie

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed May 20 13:33:09 EDT 2009

Shweta,

Have you looked at the Guinea Lynx website for a good cavy vet for Herbie? My knowledge of American geography is almost nil but I looked at the New York page and the very first one was in Long Island. Take a look at the list and maybe there is one near you.

http://www.guinealynx.info/cabinet/index.php/Veterinarians_New_York

Seagull's page also has a vetfinder section.

http://www.aracnet.com/cgi-usr/seagull/vetfinder.cgi

You have got to find one that knows how to treat piggies as many vets, although excellent with cats and dogs, know very little about piggies.

I go to a dedicated guinea pig hospital in England and I have seen many piggies treated for stones. An operation is usually the only solution with a boar but, due to their different anatomy, a stone can very often be removed from a sow without an op. Our Rodentologist ( like a vet but without the fancy letters after his name ) can work the stone down the urethra and out of the piggy. I hope that you can find someone like that for Herbie.

When any of my Piggyfriends pass on, I bury them in my garden. I use a suitable sized box, lined with hay, filled with flowers and tied securely with string. Every pig has his/her own nameplate and a tree or plant placed over them.

I hope that you will not need this information for Herbie and wish you the very best of luck with her treatment.

Penny and the Piggyfriends