[Gpdd] CARE: Coroplast cage bottoms vs piggie incisors

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Sat Nov 14 04:34:25 EST 2009

I dont know if any piggies have been known to eat chloroplast, in fact I
would like to know as I am planning one for Sammy.  There is a person on
eBay who makes custom C & C cages in many styles and colors and I asked her
if she could make one that has the grids sit on the inside instead of the
outside, as I want it to sit on a table and be a bit bigger than the table,
so if it turns out to be a problem, maybe you could contact her to get a
smaller bottom made. of course the cages are simply made by just buying a
pieces of the chloroplast, planning your cuts and score, trim off the extra,
turn up the sides at the scores and fasten with glue or clear packaging tape
on the outside corners, I dont have a car so eBay is much easier for me

An even easier way achieve your goal is to remodel the cage by snipping the
cable ties used to tie the panels together, and adding extra panels  on each
side and put on new cable ties to secure them, the cable ties are very cheap
in the hardware and electronics dept's of many stores.

Back to the lady who makes the cages on eBay, she is advertizing a new C & C
construction method using metal rings to secure the panels together. I
haven't seen a pix of the rings but I'm sure a pack is cheap at the store
hardware dept. They could be a crimp type or more like tiny key rings, I
dont know but they have to be pretty easy to put on, they would be harder,
presumably to take apart though. The reason she introduced these ring type
cages is she says that some pigs,  chew on the cable ties. There are
probably places and ways to place cable ties so they are less likely to be
chewed, like if they are secured at the very top and very bottom, and of
course its more of a concern if the C and C grids are installed on the
inside of the chloroplast bottom. Second, use the same color as the grid,
black would be any easy grid color to match so they would blend in better.
Assemble them so that the "nub" is in the back or outside, and clip the
excess off very closely.   good luck  Sandy and Sammy   who says  hurry up
mommy