[Gpdd] HEALTH: Sparkles has soft poo

corrine sakumoto oreochockc at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 15 15:37:46 EDT 2009

Our little Sparkles is a two and a half year female, dark brown, with some brindle, and a splash of 'caramel' who has had soft poo for about two months now.  We started treating her with arrowroot powder, banana, BeneBac -- basically, 'natural' stuff.  Then, if you've kept up with the GPDD, you know that stuff happened with me, so she kind of was still treated the same, but I was the 'main concern.'  Then Monday, Oct. 5th, she went to the vet's who did a quick test on her poo but found no parasites.  He put her on Sulfatrim.  After a couple of days, her poos started to firm up and after a week, she began to produce normal poos.  I wanted her to be seen again, so this time the vet did a 'floater test' (not sure on the term) and he said that since she's producing normal poos to stop the Sulfatrim, so we did.  He called with the results to say that he couldn't find any parasites or anything unusual in her poo (the floater test).  A day later, she began to
 have soft mushy poo again.  Since we had a little Sulfatrim left, we gave her the med last night and again this morning (we follow the doses two hours later with a dose of BeneBac) and her poo is firming up again.

Any idea on what could be causing this?  The vet suggested cutting back on her fresh veggies.  She's the 'spokespig' letting everyone know that 'fresh food is coming!!!!' to everyone else and well, she loves her fresh veggies.  I know I should be hard hearted when needed but seeing her stand up, and well, if I am unable to feed her fresh veggies, really tears my heart apart.  Besides, even with her 'regular' fresh veggies while taking the Sulfatrim, she was okay and produced normal poos.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!

Corrine and Michael