[Gpdd] [CARE] Advice on caring for a long haired male

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed Jan 13 18:59:54 EST 2010

Beki,

I am so pleased that you are considering offering a loving home to two
piggies in need. Their pigtures are gorgeous and I am sure that they would
make a lovely couple.

My favourite website that I recommend to people wanting info on boars is
Barmy4Boars. The spelling and grammar are both awful but the info is first
rate. Here it is...........

http://www.susieandpigs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/home.htm

Anal impaction is easily dealt with, even by someone of a squeamish
disposition. It only takes a few moments to sort out. Not all boars develop
this condition anyway, so you may never have to do this. Of my large herd,
only three need this help, a father and his two sons. A neutered boar is
less likely to become impacted, though it can happen.

It is easy to check for as, when the boar is picked up, the lump in the
perianal sac can easily be felt and dealt with accordingly. Do not let this
put you off having boars as they are such fun and can have wonderful
characters.

I do not know when Woody was neutered but make sure that it is four weeks
after his op before he is introduced to Maddie to allow any sperm still in
his system to die off.

I have looked after many longhaired piggies and have several at the moment.
I brush them more often than I do my short haired piggies and, as I would
never show a pig, I keep their coats trimmed to a manageable length. Two of
mine are Texels, whose curly coats can mat more easily than the straight
haired ones but Woody's coat looks to be straight. I keep their hair cut all
the way round so that it is clear of the floor to avoid it getting messy. I
like to give them a haircut when they are having a shampoo. Most of mine are
relaxed in the bath and can't run off in any case.

A volunteer at my Rodentologist enjoys piggy hairdressing and does lovely
layer cuts but a straight trim will suffice unless you want to try something
more fancy. Keep it really short around the back end.

With a longhaired boar one just needs to watch his testicles when wielding
the scissors. It is much easier if you can get someone to hold him on their
lap when you cut round the back.

If you should get a mat, cut it down the middle and it often pulls apart.
Again, this is easier if the coat is wet in the bath. Sometimes cutting the
two chunks down the middle again will do the trick. However much of a mess
is made of the haircut, it will grow again and practice makes perfect ( or
very nearly so ).

I hope that there will soon be announcement that these lovely piggies are in
your excellent care.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.