[Gpdd] CARE: Hutch size

Stefanie Duffy stefanieduffy at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 24 12:46:42 EST 2010

Hi Beki

Your set up sounds fine, and I would try not to be upset by being "rejected" by a rescue. A lot of us have experienced that!! I know that rescues have to be careful not to rehome a guinea pig to a home as bad as the one they came from, but I do think they go over the top with silly little rules.

I keep my guinea pigs outside, and that therefore makes me a "reject" and an unsuitable owner at some rescues, even though I have a thermostatically heated luxury shed for when the weather is cold or wet. My next-door neighbour has kept rescue dogs all her life but she is not allowed to have one from the RSPCA because her garden is not fully fenced in, but we live in a little lane off a cul-de-sac with a huge fence at the bottom of the garden where the motorway runs, and no other fast moving traffic anywhere near. They just don't make allowances, like you with the extra floor on your cage. My husband came with me to a rescue once and saw this treatment for himself. We felt like calling in to a police station on the way home and giving ourselves up!!

I would suggest you try another rescue. If you get yourself "known" there as a loving, caring, responsible owner, then there will never be another problem. I did this by attending fund raising events and sponsoring a pen at the rescue, and they like me now!

Good luck. We know you're a good slave and you know you're a good slave, so that's all that matters. The right piggy for you is waiting for you somewhere.

Stefanie and The Surrey Squeakers