[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Velvet's Eyes

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Fri Jul 16 05:38:49 EDT 2010

Dear Glynis I am so sorry.  I am surprised your vet wanted to put her out
"to get blood"  the usual procedure is to cut a nail a bit too much and get
it that way, piggies should not be anesthetized needlessly. I can only think
he might have needed allot of blood but he should tell you that, please
anyone who disagrees with me please say so. Also I would pick her up as soon
as possible, no reason I can think of for her to be there, she needs to be
home where she knows where everything is and where you are. I dont know what
the vet can do.

You will remember when her first cataract came up we all responded about how
life isn't so bad for a blind piggie, we were saying that because cataracts
usually happen in both eyes esp in a piggie so young. You confirmed she gets
plenty of Vit A beta-carotene so there is nothing you could have done. Its
apparently hereditary.

You will and Onyx will give her a fine life, of all the ailments a piggy
could get if I had to chose one and could skip all the others, I would pick
this one. I dont mean to make light of her condition but she will be fine.
Clearly we wouldn't wish this on her, but she will adapt and have a fine
life with love and happiness. And nothing about cataracts means anything
else bad will happen, she will be fine. Just keep her environment
predictable and be especially careful about accidents.
Sammy and I wish her all the love in the world and he says she will still be
welcome on the pirate ship of her choice. Piggies take care of piggies. Be
calm, it will help her the most.  If you know the breeder let them know as
they should not make the same pairings and maybe they will have reports of
other incidents of this from others from this pair.
Good luck to you all, love Sandy and Sammy

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")