[Gpdd] MISC: When do you know it's time?

staileys staileys at comcast.net
Sun Jun 20 16:34:10 EDT 2010

Dear friends - I have been a member the GPDD for 13 years and all my piggies
have lived long, fairly healthy lives - My original 2; Dodger and Anakin
from Belgium passed away at 6 and 6 1/2 respectively. The Loose Ladies from
DC, Samantha and Pearl, passed away at 7 + and almost 6, and the Lovely
Mistress Zoe at 6.  I now have left Sir Frodo the Vacant who will be 7 in
August.  Frodo has been paralyzed in the back legs for nearly 9 months -x
rays have shown 2 arthritic disks in his back causing this.  He is now a
lone piggie after Zoe's passing in March and I don't intend to replace her.
His condition is causing me great anxiety. Frodo doesn't move around at all.
Every morning I reposition him to get him out of his damp conditions. Twice
recently I have found him floundering on his back as he cannot right himself
when caught on his bad side. I try to keep him clean in his "nether" regions
but I'm finding it harder and harder to keep this up. He is developing skin
sores on his hip which I'm treating with antibacterial salve. His appetite
is wonderful and consequently his output of poohs is tremendous.  He is not
sick in anyway other than the trauma the paralysis is causing.  My problem
is --is this quality of life??? Is it time to help him over the Rainbow
Bridge??  Am I being selfish because I can't devote more time to caring for
him?? My vet is with me in whatever decision I make - I just want to make
the right one for Frodo.  I would greatly appreciate hearing from other
Digesters who have been in the same predicament.Thank you

Laura Stailey