[Gpdd] Gpdd (Misc) (Vegetable-growing at home)

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Sep 16 15:30:29 EDT 2010

Hi Ellen,

Having to drag a hose through the house in order to water your plants is enough to thwart the most dedicated gardener. I am glad that I have a tap in the garden for my hose. It doesn't rain every day in England although just recently it certainly seems that way.

Grass is a wonderful food for piggies. My herd would vote grass as the all time favourite and best of all it is free. My garden never sees any chemicals so everything in it is piggy safe. They like to pick their own from the lawn but on days when they do not go outside and in the winter I cut grass for them every day except when it is covered with snow. My lawns could not provide enough for my large herd but I am lucky to have a farmer friend who has some lush green fields from which I can cut a boxful when I need it. It is an organic farm ( no chemicals ) and he cuts the grass 2 or 3 times a year for hay. This grass surrounds his fishery lakes so the soil remains moist even in our very short but sometimes hot summer and the grass does not go brown like my own lawns. Because it is never treated, there are vetches, clovers, dandelions and plantains in it, to the piggies' delight.

You may have read of the dangers of fermenting grass, which will upset a piggy tum. I cut my grass with garden shears ( I'd use scissors if I only had a couple of pigs ) and feed it to them as soon as I get it home - a matter of minutes.  A pile of grass soon becomes hot in the middle ( the basis of a compost heap ) and would be unsafe to feed. Also it is not a good idea to use the cuttings from a lawn mower as these might contain unsuitable mosses or buttercups ( poisonous ).

Piggies that are not used to grass can be upset by it when given the first fresh grass of spring but mine are daily grass eaters and would cause a riot if the grass did not appear. It is useful when cleaning out the pens as a pile of grass at one end will ensure that the piggies sit in a row and eat it whilst I clean out the other end of the pen. A pile of veggies does not have the same effect as one or more piggies will take a favourite piece and run off with it.

For anyone who wants to grow veggies in pots and has not the time to water them, watering devices can be set up. There is a header tank, which can be filled when you have the time, from which a pipe, with assorted outlets with little taps on the ends, carries the water where it is needed and drips it into the pots. I have set up such a device in one of my greenhouses and my pigsitter just has to fill up the header tank. No point me suggesting product names as they will differ from country to country but I am sure that these things are available anywhere.

Tomatoes grow well in pots in England but your climate may be too hot for them. I do not know. It is necessary to feed them when they are growing as tomatoes are nearly as hungry as piggies. They need a high potash feed once the first fruits set and here there is one called Tomorite.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.