[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Otto and feeding

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sat Aug 27 09:54:29 EDT 2011

Hi Nancy,
  I am happy that Otto is able to eat critical care, CC, from a spoon.
You mentioned that the CC was getting caught in the tip of the syringe.
I cut the tip off of the syringe with a razor blade at the first black
line. This will give you a syringe which is just an open barrel. You can
use a nail file to smooth the edges of the barrel. Then I cut a 1.0 cm
piece of drinking straw and thread it onto the plunger. This makes a
stop so that when you push the plunger all the way down the black tip
can not get into Otto's mouth. You can use cooking oil or glycerin to
lubricate the black plunger to keep your feeding syringe working
smoothly. Otto is a very lucky piggy to have such a dedicated cavy Mom.I
am not a vet but I volunteer for Dr. Frank Bonsack DVM of Adventure
Animal Hospital as a cavy health advisor.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.