[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Mimi's mites

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Mon Feb 21 14:10:42 EST 2011

Jamie and the GPDD Family,

Penny gave an excellent answer to the question about treating Mimi for
mange mites. Your vet should be using a 1.0% solution of injectable
ivermectin which can be given orally. The dose is 0.2ml and is repeated
in 7 to 10 days. You can read the protocol at this link.
http://piggyville.com/index.php?id=9
Rarely does a cavy need a third treatment as long as you follow up with
an antiparasitic bath. I have never seen a case that involved 4
treatments of ivermectin. This dosage of Ivermectin has been being used
for over 30 years at the Cambridge Cavy Trust Guinea Pig Hospital with
no known ill effects. I have been personally using it for 25 years at
Piggyville a private cavy rescue and sanctuary.

However I am not a vet. I learned this protocol from Peter Gurney and
Vedra Stanley-Spatcher the founder of the Cambridge Cavy Trust and the
British Association of Rodentologists.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.