[Gpdd] Health: Olivia's UTI - Good News/Bad News

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Jan 11 14:21:39 EST 2011

I like the good news Pat. Let's hope that after the antibiotics are finished
Olivia has a dry bum at last.

Years ago I used either Hibiclens or Hibiscrub on Topaz. The vet suggested
that this would be good as he used it for obstetric work. It certainly kept
Topaz nice and clean. She was a Peruvian but I didn't shave her hair, just
cut the "tail" end short.  I gave her rear end a bathe in warm water every
day, dried her with a hairdryer ( she was a very placid pig ) and applied
the Hibi what ever it was. She only ever had one bout of cystitis which
cleared up with antibiotics.

With Gingerbread ( a part Texel ) I used to bathe her tail end daily, dry
her with the hairdryer again ( another very placid pig ) and applied
Vaseline to her nether regions. Some people might say that Vaseline is a no
no for piggies but my Rodentologists gave it the all clear. Gingerbread
never seemed to groom it off - she was much more interested in eating. A
baby cream would be safe to use - anything to keep the urine away from the
skin and prevent a painful scald.

Both of these girls would have kept still to be shaved but I am not sure
that I could have used the machine safely. I am better with scissors.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.