[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Flatbottom part 2

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Thu Jul 21 18:45:17 EDT 2011

Dear Jocelyn,
It is imperative that you syringe feed Fatbottom as often as possible
and weigh him daily. Start out by first giving him about 5 ml of
Pedialyte or water. Look into his mouth and check to see that his tongue
is able to move freely. Using a 1 ml syringe that has had the barrel cut
at the 0.05 ml mark attempt to suck out any surplus fluid or food. If
you are able to suck out any food this would be an indication that he is
having teeth problems. Even with teeth problems he can be syringe fed
but you have to be cautious not to gag him. The important thing being is
that he has to be fed to stay alive so that if he has developed teeth
problems they can be taken care of when you find a vet that knows how to
file his molars. Also by feeding him Critical Care made into a thick
mash this will help him wear down his molars. Use the modified 1 ml
syringe to feed him. You can alternate syringe feedings with a syringe
full of water. The golden rule of syringe feeding is little and often. I
continue to feed a cavy until he tucks his head down indicating that he
is full. You can add baby food or fruit puree or canned plain pumpkin to
give diversity to the critical care. Keep in mind that cavies eat
approximately 50 grams of food/day. My cavies and the cavies at the CCT
Guinea Pig Hospital prefer Critter be Better Digestive Health Powder for
syringe feeding from American Pet Diner. http://www.americanpetdiner.com/
I am not a vet but I volunteer for Dr. Frank Bonsack DVM of Adventure
Animal Hospital as a cavy health advisor.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.