[Gpdd] MISC Cyclones in Queensland

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 11:41:47 EST 2013

What a relief to hear from you again, Julie, and to know that you, your
family and little ones are all safe.

You have all lived through what sounds like a disaster movie. How kind of
your local store to help people out. I could not see that happening here!

It is many years now since our "Great Storm" in SE England, which felled
millions of trees and left many people without power for days. The huge
cedar tree in our neighbouring property was blown down in the night,
missing our house, and, more worryingly, the piggy room by inches but
demolishing my greenhouse. Power lines were down everywhere, trees were
blocking roads, untold damage was done to houses and cars and we had no
electricity for a week, although we had an arcing line across our lawn. My
sons could not get to school but were able to help with the clear up. So I
can imagine the terror through which you have survived.

I don't know if these terrible weather events are a new thing. I lived in
London as a child and can remember dreadful flooding one year ( this was
before the building of the Thames flood barrier ) and my father was
collected for work by a boat sailing down our street. Later on, we lived in
a small, rural village, which was cut off by snowdrifts for weeks in the
winter of 1962/3. Seeing snow above the height of our front door was scary
but I didn't have to go to school, which was a bonus.

Take care Julie and anyone else in the path of disaster. There always seems
to be something giving concern.

Penny and the Piggyfriends, safe from floods but concerned that the best
place for grass is still underwater.