[Gpdd] [HEALTH] elderly piggys and worming

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sun Feb 8 05:27:54 EST 2015

Hi Mieke and all GPDD folks,
Parasites are the number one cause of pain, disease and death in guinea
pigs. It is the same for dogs and cats and all farm animals in fact all
animals. Parasites are also the number one cause of weight loss in
guinea pigs. Are there any GPDD people out there that own horses or know
someone who does? Ask them how many times a year they worm them. In
Florida it is 8 times a year.
Please go to my website to read about worming with ivermectin and
fenbendazole. Piggys get parasites from all the foods that they eat. I
could write a book about how important it is and how many piggys lives
have been saved because I wormed them after a vet said they should be
euthanized. France would not allow my guinea pigs to enter the country
unless they were wormed. For me to bring my piggys to France they were
required to be given 1 mg of ivermectin and 20 mg fenbendazole.

http://piggyville.com/index.php?id=9

  Some people use ivermectin behind the ears but I prefer to use it
orally. Guinea pigs have very thick flesh and do not absorb drugs
through their skin the way we or dogs and cats do. By the way I know
this because I am a pharmaceutical scientist that helped develop the
first nicotine patch. It was not tested on guinea pigs because of what I
just wrote above. I would also be afraid of it getting in their eyes.

Even if you have stopped routine worming you can always resume it.

Many vets think that guinea pigs do not get parasites. I guess they must
think that God decided that she would exempt piggys from parasites but
give all other creatures parasites.

Worming piggys can be compared to brushing your teeth. There is no
practice that will prevent your natural teeth from developing cavities.
Yet you still brush your teeth so you have good oral hygiene and
hopefully do not get cavities. You worm your guinea pigs because there
is a 100% chance that they will get parasites. Not all parasites will
hurt them but many will. The piggy that gets a respiratory infection may
have become susceptible to that infection because it's immune system was
too busy fighting off parasites.
I am not a vet.
Cheers, Ann

--

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Corsica, France--