[Gpdd] PETER GURNEY: March 9th is the date!

bunny rabbit calliope996 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 11 14:18:36 EST 2022

Oliver and Scottie thought the message "boar" repeating (sigh -- they are young and just learning about puns), so we will mention again that the annual Peter Gurney Memorial Candle Lighting is on Wednesday, March 9th.

As you probably know, Mr. Gurney was an advocate for guinea pigs, wrote books about their care, and traveled to help others learn about them. He has a website that still exists, so despite his passing in 2006, he still promotes knowledge of these special beings. We on the GPDD celebrate him each year with a candle lighting on his birthday.

All you have to do is light a candle or candles (traditional, electric, or virtual) at 8 p.m.March 9th and leave it or them lit for an hour (longer if you like). Those in the next time zone take over at 8 p.m. their time, and in this way the light travels the globe.

We use this time to celebrate not only Mr. Gurney but also other friends who have passed on, be they human, furred, feathered, or finned.

You don't have to be a member of the GPDD to participate, so please feel free to tell others about this event.

Please join us in this celebration!

Oliver, Scottie, Audrey, and Cindy