[Gpdd] CARE: new friends for Scottie

bunny rabbit calliope996 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 20 11:37:16 EST 2022

Scottie has a new friend and is going to have yet another new friend soon!

I hadn't checked with my vet's office in a while, so I called them Thursday to let them know I was still looking for a buddy. They put me on hold a moment and then I was speaking with one of the vet techs, who was so great with Nugget. It turned out that she has had some life-changing circumstances and needed to find a new home for her two boys, Coke and Fitzgerald. (Coke's biological brother was Rum, but Rum passed away some time ago.)

We met at the office Saturday to introduce Scottie and Coke on a towel on an exam table, thinking that was definitely neutral territory! Scottie is always nervous at the vet's (the first time he ever went, there was an awful storm), so he stayed still, but Coke came over and took his carrot piece then nestled behind him, at my arm. Scottie seemed fine about that and also seemed to calm down.

Fitzgerald is being treated for a head tilt (which I couldn't see) and will join us later, but we put him on the table, too, and after stealing Scottie's cucumber, he ran over and nestled with the others. Everypig seemed content.

I took Scottie and Coke home in separate carriers, just in case, then put them in the cage together. Coke explored and wanted to tell Scottie he was the big pig, but I explained to them both that everything in the cage is to be shared, and they seemed to listen to me. There were a few minor dust-ups, but after a couple of hours they settled in. When I saw Scottie splaying out on his sofa, which he hasn't done since Nugget passed away, I felt everything would be all right.

Coke is a crested calico and an older pig, about four and a half, and Fitzgerald is a Peruvian and about three or so. Fitzgerald is very calm and laid back, so I hope when I reintroduce all three, things will go well.

Please welcome Coke (and soon Fitzgerald)!

Cindy, Scottie, and Coke